Browse by #Tags

UFO Phenomenon Aliens Science Ancient Mysteries Anomalies Astrology Bigfoot Unexplained Chupacabra Consciousness Crime Unsolved Mysteries Freaks

California woman lost her limbs after eating bad tilapia

California resident Laura Barajas, 40, was on the verge of death after eating tilapia contaminated with dangerous bacteria.

Remove ads and support us with a membership

According to information published by the New York Post, the incident occurred in mid-September. After a tilapia dinner, Laura began to experience serious health problems. She soon required emergency surgery, which resulted in the amputation of all her limbs.

The doctors who performed the operation claim that without timely intervention she could have died.

According to the publication’s source, who introduced himself as a friend of Laura Barajas, “the doctors put her into a medically induced coma. Her fingers were black, her legs were black, her lower lip was black. She had complete sepsis and her kidneys were failing.”

Remove ads and support us with a membership

It was later learned that the infection was caused by the dangerous Vibrio Vulnificus bacteria, known as vibrios, which can cause serious human health problems, including sepsis. These bacteria are commonly found in fish and shellfish, especially if they have not been sufficiently processed before consumption.

Barajas has been in the hospital for over a month when she fell ill after eating undercooked fish.
Credit: KRON 4

“It’s just been really heavy on all of us. It’s terrible. This could’ve happened to any of us,” Barajas’ friend Anna Messina told KRON.

Messina said Barajas, who has a 6-year-old son, became sick days after eating the fish that she had purchased at a local market in San Jose and made for herself at home.

“She almost lost her life. She was on a respirator,” Messina said.

Remove ads and support us with a membership

Family and friends of Laura Barajas have launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds for the woman’s treatment and rehabilitation.

Experts remind us of the need for careful handling of food and compliance with safety measures when preparing and consuming food. Eating poorly processed fish can pose health risks.

Undercooked fish may contain bacteria, viruses or parasites that can cause a variety of illnesses, including food poisoning. To avoid risks, fish should be prepared properly, ensuring it is thoroughly cooked and cooked to a temperature that kills pathogens.

It is also important to store fish in the refrigerator at low temperatures and follow expiration dates.

Psst, listen up... Subscribe to our Telegram channel if you want even more interesting content!
Default image
Jake Carter

Jake Carter is a researcher and a prolific writer who has been fascinated by science and the unexplained since childhood. He is always eager to share his findings and insights with the readers of, a website he created in 2013.